Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I don’t want to sell!

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84491

• Richie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Pleasance, Can you find out just exactly what the mechanic said is wrong and let us know. I haven't seen/met/heard of a good mechanic in years (and if one is to be found......they are gold!). They can be very quick to say that a/your car is cactus because they DON"T want to fix it. I had an experience just recent of a PT overheating, the fix was a $20 radiator cap! Maybe there's an easier way. You're also lucky that you have another ride as this can give you plenty of time to reconsider keeping your precious toy (oh and stick with all us PT Cruiser nuts!).
Regards, Richie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84492

Hello,

Thank you for your kind responses. I contacted A & J Automotive and asked to have a second opinion. Am organising for it to be transported there tomorrow and I will let you all know the verdict. I am not convinced that it is “unfixable”. At very least I’d like to have it drivable and registerable so I have more options regarding whether I keep or sell it. I would prefer to keep it but that will depend on finances.

So fingers crossed for a favourable diagnosis.

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84516

Thought i’d Add an update. Sadly it’s not good news, I have been advised by A & J Automotive that it basically needs a new engine and that would probably cost $3-4K. I am deciding whether I think it is worth it, at an estimate that’s a bit over half the value of the car. Although in its current condition the car isn’t worth much. It is not my primary means of transport now, so it would be a second car if I do get it repaired. I am going to sleep on it and advise what I want to do with it in the morning.

P.S. I quite like my new car but I miss the Cruiser, it doesn’t have that “check out the reflection in the shopfronts” thing that the Chrysler does.

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84517

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 49
That's sad to hear. Well at least you have had a 2nd opinion / advice now on its condition so that should help you make the right decision.
Expensive little things these PTs are.
I guess for what you would spend on it to get it going would you actually even get that once fixed to sell!
Has anybody offered to buy it as a spare parts vehicle?
Wish you well on your decision making.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84519

• Richie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Yes Ray, it's a sad day when another PT bites the dust (and can you imagine how many worldwide considering that they made 1.3 million of them). And what, with their values of say a reasonably average car around 3-5k for early ones. I even saw a good 04 model going for 2k last week! But with the early ones looking at 13 years old (or older) what car wouldn't be suffering at that age? It's just that the PT Cruiser is a stand-out unique car and if it's what one wants then the $$$ have to be spent. I remember I did spend a bit on my Valiant Charger (many years ago) but that was the boy-racer coming out in me!
Regards, Rick.

I don’t want to sell! 2 months 2 weeks ago #84520

Mine is an 04 model, and if one in good condition goes for $2K then mine would get less than that with a second engine and already second-hand. It’s already 12 years old and I’ve had it for almost half its life. I feel like I’m getting an old horse put down! If I was a petrol head who liked tinkering under the bonnet then I could possibly justify the expense. They ARE a unique looking car and I was always getting comments about it, and if Chrysler announced that they were going to remake the Cruiser with the same styling but for today’s market then I’d be front and centre.
Absolutely loved driving it and I will miss it.
11.jpg02.jpg05.jpg09.jpg03.jpg04.jpg01.jpg06.jpg10.jpg07.jpg