Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Factory Sunroof transplant

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78596

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 76
Colin P wrote:

Amazed that the steel frame is not painted and has lots of surface rust. Lots of plugs & clips to undo and the plastic panel is out & the steel frame is ready to lift out. Can see that the engine bay wiring loom is going to be a nightmare to replace in the PT with the engine & trans in place. Dragged home my 39 Hudson Hot Rod so I can fit up the 360/727 next week.. need a break from the PT;) ;)

I pulled my dash out late last year
The steel bar on mine was rusted as well
Removing and re-installing into another car would not be my idea of fun either
and I don\'t think it would be something done over a weekend or even two

Could the silver one be um re-bo bo bodied ;)
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78600

• colpay
  • Owned Mopars since 1975, love PTs now have 2
  • Thank you received: 3
Steve :)
I changed the timing belt & water pump for new ones & yes the tensioner is different but shouldn\'t be a problem. All the sensors on the inlet manifold are different plugs etc but I swapped over the 2001 inlet manifold so they are now the correct ones. Biggest change is the Crank Shaft sensor.. 2001 it is on No 2 cylinder near oil filter & 2003 it is on No 4 cylinder on opposite side of block near starter motor. Doesn\'t bring up an error code but might be firing ignition at the wrong time & squirting fuel also at the wrong time?? :(
The ignition key security chip receiver is a loop around the ignition barrel and picks up the signal from the key, if it is the wrong key it brings up a red light in the dash & will stop the running engine after 2 seconds.. mine won\'t even start so its not an issue..:(

Col :)
Both air bags have deployed so it might be written off.. still will be easier to change over the dash frame & wiring looms than to get the silver PT back on the road again..:unsure:
1 thing I am trying to suss out is the Cam Shaft Magnet different 2001 to 2003??
Tested the coil wiring today & it is fine from the computer to the coil plug but when I crank it over only 1 coil is triggered & the other is dead as..:S

to be continued..:dry:

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78602

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
Colin P wrote:
All the sensors on the inlet manifold are different plugs etc but I swapped over the 2001 inlet manifold so they are now the correct ones. Biggest change is the Crank Shaft sensor.. 2001 it is on No 2 cylinder near oil filter & 2003 it is on No 4 cylinder on opposite side of block near starter motor.

This is what I was referring to early its 180 degrees out
Your computer won\'t read it correctly
Colin & Joan

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78603

• colpay
i2s2bme wrote:
Colin P wrote:
All the sensors on the inlet manifold are different plugs etc but I swapped over the 2001 inlet manifold so they are now the correct ones. Biggest change is the Crank Shaft sensor.. 2001 it is on No 2 cylinder near oil filter & 2003 it is on No 4 cylinder on opposite side of block near starter motor.

This is what I was referring to early its 180 degrees out
Your computer won\'t read it correctly

Bingo !! Found the answer at last, thanks Col !! :woohoo:

www.justanswer.com/chrysler/35y3q-put-20...pt-cruiser-cant.html

Wiring loom change is a must !!:S

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78644

• colpay
Huge change of plans now !! ;)
To change the wiring loom is a major job as you have to pull all the front apart & remove the engine/trans as well !! :huh:
Did a rego check on the Silver \"parts car\" on RTA site &... its a September 2004 model & is not a \"written off\" vehicle as I thought it might be as the 2 front airbags had both gone off. :woohoo:
So what I am going to do is pull the motor/trans/front end out of my 2001 Green PT & fit it all back into the Silver 2004 PT, this means I wont have to spend money getting the sunroof changed over and I will just need to get the right front guard, nose cone & bonnet painted Silver to match the rest of the car !!
Hopefully I will get it running later this week !! :lol:

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 5 years 2 months ago #78645

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
Goodluck with it Col
Sounds like the easier option
You\'ll be an expert in engine removal lol
Colin & Joan

02.jpg03.jpg06.jpg09.jpg04.jpg10.jpg05.jpg11.jpg07.jpg01.jpg