Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chrome adhesive trim - free to good home!

Chrome adhesive trim - free to good home! 2 years 11 months ago #81480

• Chromebeast
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Ray,
I did a little more reading on this whitewall issue since my post.

The clearest statement I could find was from a Vicroads Tester Newsletter from 2010 called Testing Times:

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...m=bv.106674449,d.dGY

Text reads:

Any alterations to a tyre sidewall are not acceptable for several reasons:
o in some cases the tyre size and other information is being removed
o the removal of sidewall material is likely to adversely affect the structure of the tyre
o the addition of sidewall material is likely to adversely affect the structure of the tyre
o the addition of sidewall material may also conceal sidewall damage. Repairs to tyre sidewall are prohibited (refer to VSI 16).
Any modification to the structure of a tyre (and this includes tread re-grooving on a tyre not marked as suitable for this process) requires the written approval of the tyre manufacturer confirming that the tyre still meets the standards before it can be accepted.
However, if the coloured sidewall stripe effect has been achieved by simply painting onto the sidewall and has not involved any removal of sidewall material or sidewall markings then this would be acceptable.

I hope this is of help to others.
Thanks
Pat
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chrome adhesive trim - free to good home! 2 years 11 months ago #81482

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 73
Good research and thanks for posting it
I have heard this before about being a defect here in NSW (altered tyres/whitewalls)
At the time it wasn't yet law, that could of changed by now
Any "illegal" modification will also affect insurance claims in the event of an accident
But most people know this but still flout the law to some degree, I'm not condoning anything illegal.
I have two sets of rims, with one set put aside for "special" occasions which I sometimes use the moons on

I know of one PT owner in northern NSW that has bought his own Tyre paint and white walled the tyres himself
I took several goes but he found if the paint is thinned right down and slowly build up coasts it adheres much better
He has also had the lettering removed.
I don't get the legalities this causes as the lettering is still on the inside of the tyre Only one side is actually white walled
They have had a setup at car shows that I have seen and some do take a fair bit off the wall
It would be interesting to see how the original "red walls" were done in the 70's and fitted as standard tyres to some vehicles

and it was Coker tyres not corky www.cokertire.com/
Tyres with the white letter(4x4 and BF Goodrich) have a layer of white rubber covered with a layer of black rubber
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chromebeast

Chrome adhesive trim - free to good home!. 2 years 11 months ago #81484

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 47
At the risk of being derided....

No mater how you look at it, grinding away part of the side wall of the tyre to then apply a paint product constitutes comprising the structure of the tyre.
Morally wrong.....
Regardless of what differing State Laws say.

There are tyre manufacturers to be found on the Internet who make whitewalls as they were made 40 years ago.
These are not the standard of a modern steel radial (handling, grip, comfort), but are safe and legal.

Apart from that, not all tyre manufacturers have the same data on both sides of the tyre (eg. DOT info).
Information that is important to registration authorities (and should be to every vehicle owner!).
If I can't see the DOT info on a tyre I am very suspicious about that tyre.....

Just my thoughts (of course)...
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Chrome adhesive trim - free to good home!. 2 years 11 months ago #81485

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 73
All good Steve I'm no expert just what I've seen and heard
But it seems to be a hot topic of discussion as Pat has pointed on other forums

These still have the lettering around the outside

They meet American standards and European But no mention of Australian
I would be looking a something like this
Someone here in Australia would be a distributor as I have heard of some here buying them
Not cheap you'd be looking at $1500 min inc postage for four

The porta walls I had, actually wore off the lettering from them moving against the outside of the tyre
It was significant wear over such a short time which I was a little concerned about at the time
But they didn't last long enough to worry about
I may still have the tyres here(they have been replaced)
I will check over the weekend if they are and take a pic of the wear to the outside wall
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
01.jpg05.jpg09.jpg07.jpg10.jpg06.jpg03.jpg02.jpg04.jpg11.jpg